August 14, 2008

Day 1: Minnesota

((This was written on Monday but published internet at the campground, so grabbin' some wifi at the library...))

We made it safely to Minnesota. The drive was grueling, however. Or at least the first couple hours of it were. That’s what we get for staying out late the night before. We did have much fun together, though, so I think it was worth it?!? And to add to the excitement (and dread) of that first couple hours, Ruka (Stone’s kitten) locked the suburban, while it was running and we were all outside of it. Handy John was able to use a wire hanger and solve the problem, though. Lesson learned! Don’t leave the keys in the ignition while there’s a curious kitten on the prowl.

Day 1 here: The boys weren’t lacking in choices of what to do. They rode their bicycles, found frogs and itty bitty baby toads, rode the dirt bike, caught a handful of snakes (and I do mean handful, 4 in hand at one time is certainly a handful!) They fished first thing in the morning, but only caught a couple off the dock, so decided to occupy their time with other, above mentioned interests.

John rolled in here around 3:00, much to our delight! I had boneless pork ribs in the crockpot all day, but never made it to town to get BBQ sauce as intended, so instead made impromptu tostadas complete with shredded pork, rice, black beans and guacamole. Very good, indeed! We’ll do the BBQ thing tonight; the boys insist.

Stone turns 7 tomorrow! He’s requested a store bought wrestling cake so we’ll go look for one today. Also on the menu will be biscuits and gravy for breakfast and tacos for dinner.

Since it’s raining today, we’re planning a trip into town to find the library, grab some groceries, locate a few parks and the pool, make phone calls and check e-mail.

Oh, and the one bit of very bad news: I was taking a bag of garbage to the bin yesterday evening while Sage was watching Big Fish. Well, I guess this made Sage very angry so he threw the DVD case at our flat screen TV and broke it. We’re bummed, completely. He was upset, too. I heard him screaming so came quickly back to find him coming out of the bus and screaming that he “was mad so threw the case at the TV and broke it”. Bummer.

No comments: