February 16, 2009

Bolsa Chica

We arrived at Bolsa Chica State Beach (Huntington Beach, CA) on Monday evening. The weather has been a bit on the cool side; 10 to 15 degrees below normal....DANG IT! But, we're still having a nice time, so don't feel too sorry for us! ;) We've got a view of the ocean from where we're parked, and are a few short steps away from the beach. The sand hasn't been too much of an issue (i was kinda worried about sand). I guess we've slipped into a little system that seems to be working well to keep it under control. I'm wearing pajamas to bed ( i never wear pj's) but by doing so, I don't feel the sand on my legs all night, so that's my major help.

We met this interesting family (one of the many people we meet on the road, who I like to call "beautiful souls") on our first morning at Bolsa Chica. Meet Laura, Dave and Lily. Laura lived in Nepal for 7 years, as well as traveling far and wide to other places, and now sells fairly traded beaded bracelets that are hand-made by women in a Katmandu village. Shoot, I can't seem to find their website right now, but will link to it as soon as I find it!



On Thursday, John and Saylor went to wash the car and check out some surf shops. As fate would have it, a lovely surf instructor happened to walk into the shop they were browsing, and asked if they wanted to go surfing. HELLS YA! So, they made a stop back here to pick the rest of us up, and we met Richard (whose real name is a Hawaiian one that I can't recall at present; he goes by Richard here, because "it's just easier") at a private little spot just down the coast a bit. He brought the boards and the wetsuits, and gave John and Saylor each a brief lesson.



After everyone was sufficiently worn out and chilly, we followed Rich to pick up his son (newly 6) from kindergarten, and then went to have lunch at a local pizzeria (which was SO good, and SO cheap! kids even eat free on Thursdays! Gee, our lucky day, all around!) We invited them over for dinner last night, and enjoyed their company and conversation.

We'll be heading to Newport Dunes tomorrow and will be there for a week playing and exploring with other families on the road.

And of course, we're hoping to do lots more surfing. I didn't try it yet, too cold for me on that day and I've been fighting off a sore throat. But I'll give it a try, no doubt about it.

As I prepare to publish this post, it's pouring down rain here, so we're all finding quiet (ha! ha!), indoor things to do today. Saylor is making himself a cup of hot tea, and Stone and Sage are building a gigantic pillow fort on the back bed.

Sending Peace and Love to one and all.....

1 comment:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Hello lovely people! I am thinking of you all and sending happy vibes!